Getting ready for an event like this-- or for proms, weddings, etc... can take LOTS of work! You want to look your best, and when you're doing it all yourself like I did- it can take some time. Fortunately for me, I love the whole process of getting ready for stuff like this- so I thought I'd share it with you!!
(I found this dress for $25 at Wet Seal)
DO IT YOURSELF- BIG EVENT PREPARATION:
- Get clean! When you shower- consider things like whether or not you'll be using a self-tanner that day- you'll want to exfoliate beforehand in the shower. Also- doing a deep conditioning treatment on your hair (I use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle) may help your hair be more manageable once it's time to style it.
- Do your nails! This is something you could do the night before too- but of course you lessen the chances of messing it up if you just wait until close before the event. I did it the morning of my event. I kept it simple, using a color that coordinated with my outfit, but also one that I knew would dry quickly and not take too much time. I put Revlon nail enamel in Cherry Crush on my fingers & toes.
- Get a bright smile! This is something you may want to think about in the weeks leading up to the event- but if you regularly whiten your teeth with Whitestrips every couple of days- just go ahead and use the strips on the big day as well. Allow yourself half an hour for them to stay in. I like Crest Whitestrips Advanced Seal- they stay in so well, I almost forget I'm wearing them!
- Get tan! I regularly use a gradual sunless tanner- Dove Energy Glow, but for this event I wanted to have an even more sunkissed look. There is a product from DuWop that I absolutely love- called Revolution. It's a body bronzer moisturizer- but it also has sunscreen- SPF 15. I put it on my arms and legs, and had Tyler slather some on my back. It take a little while to dry, so I suggest doing this the morning of your event. It won't come off till the next time you shower. I just love this, because haven't we all had those times when we look at our skin and think, man I look pale! This stuff gives an awesome, and most importantly, healthy tan glow. This product won an Allure Editor's Choice Award.
- Get your makeup on! This is something you can start strategizing about as soon as you get your outfit. For my event, I knew I would be surrounded by those who are used to watching me on the news- so I basically took that look and kicked it up a notch with some slightly more dramatic false lashes and brigher lips. False lashes are a SUPER easy way to make your look more glamorous... to learn more check out my false eyelash tutorial.
- Hair time! This is something else you should be thinking about before your event. Be aware that if you're trying something new on yourself for the very first time- it might not exactly go as planned! Since this was a big event for me, I wanted to go with a style that I've mastered using velcro rollers. Here's the link to my video tutorial on that: Velcro Roller Tutorial.
Check out my Glam & Girly Makeup Tutorial that I did for my big event!
Have a great day everyone, and don't forget to keep getting your entries in for my Prom makeup contest! Post a video response to the contest video on my channel- or send an email (inclulding your YouTube user name) to email@example.com The deadline for entries is April 18th. Check out the sidebar on my contest video for details!