QOTW: Holiday Shopping for the Man in Your Life
Emily & Tyler with their Gingerbread House: Christmas 2008
"Holiday Shopping for the Man in your Life"
...and Question of the Week Results
-a guest blog by Tyler
I'm writing this guest blog for last week's 'QOTW'. I'm not sure how Emily usually does this so I'm just going to give the results and throw some commentary in. She would also like me to give my top ten gift buying tipsfor the man in your life, so I'll see if I can come up with ten semi useful ideas. The question of the week was: "When do you start your Christmas shopping?" How would I have voted? I'm glad you asked. I bought a gift on the Saturday after thanksgiving this year which is pretty early for me. Usually I don't start till around a week or two before Christmas. I haven't bought Emily anything yet in case you were wondering, but I have some ideas. On to the results...
- Number one with 39% of the vote was early December-I pretty much expected this would be a popular choice, but I wouldn't have guessed it wasnumber one.
- Number two with 28% was before Thanksgiving- really, people do this? That's a long time to keep all that stuff stored. Then again the question was "start" so even buying one thing would qualify.
- Number three with 17% was right after Thanksgiving-I figured this would be number one. I guess more people like to avoid crowds than I thought.
- Number four with only 3% was the day before Christmas-This number kind of surprised me, I thought my dad was the only person who did all his shopping the day before Christmas. It works pretty well for him, but then again, the only person he buys anything for is my mom. The rest of the giftbuying is left up to my mom who seems to be 100 percent cool with that.
Now on to my top 10 tips when you're shopping for the man in your life around the holidays...
- Ask the guy-I realize this isn't that original of an idea, but I guarantee you any guy would rather know what he's getting and have it besomething he wants than to have the gift be something he didn't want and besurprised. For the rest of the list I'll assume you asked and he couldn't think of anything.
- Find his hobby/interest, go to the store that specializes in that type of thing, and ask them what the newest and coolest thing is that has come out lately. Just make sure he doesn't have it already.
- Look at the magazines he reads-around Christmas a lot of magazines have a gift ideas section
- Tickets-Depending on what he likes to do, tickets to a sporting event, concert, or something else are a great idea. The best part is, depending on your budget, you can bundle a bunch of stuff with the tickets (t-shirts, jerseys, other memorabilia.....)
- Gift cards-They are not a bad idea for a guy as long as you get them from the right place for the specific guy. They work really well if the guy you're shopping for likes something like video games. You can just get a gift card for the price of a new game and then you don't have to worry about getting one you're not sure if he'll like.
- Find something that the guy you're shopping for would normally buy,but is too cheap to get for himself. Specific examples are going to depend a lot on the guy. Just think of something that he really likes, but buys generic or a cheaper version- and buy him the premium stuff.
- Netflix- They sell a lot of gift memberships for different amounts, depending on the number of DVD's you get at a time. You can also get streaming movies online or from a Playstation 3 and possibly even x-box (I'm not positive on that one though).
- Magazine subscriptions-find a magazine that he has bought a few times but doesn't subscribe to.
- Listen for something he complains about-does he use something a lot that's either worn out or doesn't work as well as it used to? Buy him a new one. Tread lightly though, make sure it's something that he would want replaced. Some guys get attached to certain things and wouldn't want to throw it out. Just make sure it's something he complains about and wants to replace himself- not just something that bothers you.
- This is more of a "don't" than a tip, but still useful. Don't buy him a suggestion gift. Don't buy him a piece of exercise equipment if he needs to lose weight or something like that. Christmas gifts are to make the person you buy them for happy, not for your own purposes. Don't put the guy in a situation where he has to pretend like he likes something that might actually offend him.
That's my take on gift giving for the man in your life. Hopefully you getan idea or two from this list.