Crock Pot Enchilada Soup!
Hey everyone! I'm feeling a little under the weather today... I believe it's either a cold or allergies. It's definitely the type of feeling that makes you want some warm soup! And over the weekend I made what I feel is one of the tastiest things I've created in my crock pot. Behold- crock pot Chicken Enchilada Soup! (I think I mistakenly tweeted that this was chicken tortilla soup... but the recipe says enchilada!)
Ok, I realize the presentation is less than impressive in my microwaveable Ziplock container, but I'm eating my leftovers today and this is what I'm using. As with many good ideas that have come into my life lately, I discovered this on Pinterest... you can check out my page here. Anyway... when I saw a picture of this soup on there, I clicked a couple of times and ended up at the Homemade by Holman blog, where there were pictures, a recipe, and instructions for making this on the stove top or in a crock pot. Thank you to Homemade by Holman for the FANTASTIC recipe!
A few notes from me...
- I totally forgot to pick up jalapenos. But it was plenty spicy even without them.
- I didn't include black beans because Tyler & I don't really love them...
- I compensated by adding some extra corn
- I couldn't find cotija cheese in my store... I replaced that part of the recipe with more pepperjack.
- In terms of the the way the spices came together-- I felt it was PERFECT. The flavor was awesome & I didn't feel the need to tweak the taste at all.
- Serve with an extra sprinkling of pepperjack, and I love eating this with Fritos corn chips... they're a bit more substantial than regular corn chips & soak up some of the broth without dissolving.
- All in all, think of this as a mexican stew. The chicken turns out SO tender and takes on so much flavor. Tyler and I agreed- this was both filling and flavorful and we'll be enjoying the leftovers for awhile!
- I had some of the STRANGEST dreams last night. I can't remember lots of details except for these few tidbits... wedding, dance routine, Elton John, Steven Tyler, and moments where I was trying to sleep and my room was full of people acting like nothing was going on.
- A grey and white cat has made an appearance on my deck. The cat seems large & well-fed. Not sure what to do...
- Posted my Everyday Smokey Eye on YouTube. If you've ever felt smokey-eye challenged, I hope you'll give this look a shot :)