Hey everyone! So I was enjoying my Memorial Day off from work (didn't see that coming 'til a random glance at the schedule last week showed I was off! woop woop!) And as any good ABC affiliate employee does, I was watching Good Morning America on my day off (haha)... and saw this cool story on the creators of Benefit cosmetics. I was interested to hear that Jean & Jane Ford were just typical midwestern girls (ok, so they did some modeling in commercials)- who literally flipped a coin about what sort of business to develop and makeup won. Consequently, I had recently been sent a small kit of Benefit products to review- and was in the process of putting them on for pics for this blog when that story aired! :)
Here it is! The "Snow White and the Huntsman Rare Beauty Kit" form Benefit. If you're interested in picking it up, it's available for $45 on Sephora's website. In case you weren't aware, Snow White and the Huntsman debuts this Friday in theaters... and this kit claims to give you "the fairest look of the land". You get the following products...
- Benetint (.13 oz): Big fan of Benetint- and this is actually a pretty good size of the product! Still working on another small size of this that I already had, but it's good to have a backup. I totally see this as a "Snow White" product... just a few dots blended onto the cheeks gives great natural color, and it's nice on the lips too & because it's a stain, it looks SUPER natural. My tip- when using it on the cheeks, blend it in immediately... it dries kinda fast. (side note: I also love Cha Cha tint!! heads up coral lovers!)
- BAD Gal Lash (.3 oz): Pretty cool that you get a full size BAD Gal mascara. I've only ever tried the minis of this before... and it's a pretty good mascara for volume! It's one of those that I tend to not love a whole lot when I first start using it... but it tends to get better with time. Do you ever feel that way with mascaras? The brush is rather large, which can be hard to control at times, but I do appreciate the fact that it has a tapered tip. Overall this is a "B" grade mascara in my book.
- High Beam (.08 oz): Good things come in small packages! And the smallest thing in this kit is definitely one of the coolest. I love this stuff! It's something I'm considering purchasing full-size. It's the same format as Benetint & that whole family of products... only instead of being a total liquid... this is a somewhat creamy/liquidy highlight. It's the perfect pearly color that you can put on your cheekbones, browbone, bridge of nose, cupids bow (I did all of the above!)... and it's probably one of the best cream highlighting products I've tried! Not glittery- just the perfect pearly glow.
- the POREfessional (.75 oz): Another full sized product... which I have blogged about before. Check out that post for my thoughts. I'm not over the moon about this stuff, but the texture is pretty awesome. You can wear it under your makeup as a primer or over your makeup to touch-up areas where you feel your pores are especially visible. I'd like to hear from someone who feels they have super large pores as far as how well this works on them. One high point I've noticed as I've worn this more... my makeup tends to wear longer (I think) when I use this as a primer. It's not at all greasy, so I think that helps.
A closer look at the XXL brush on BAD Gal.
The bag that this comes in is INCREDIBLY cute.
You also get a little booklet showing you how to get the look...
In this pic I'm wearing Benetint on my cheeks and lips, and High Beam on my cheekbones, brow bones, bridge of nose, and cupid's bow. I was testing a different mascara in this video, so no Bad Gal, but I am wearing Porefessional under my makeup.
Overall, the highlights of this kit for me are Benetint & High Beam. I probably would be more likely to buy those individually than purchase this as a kit, given my prior knowledge about Bad Gal & Porefessional. However, when it comes to getting the "Snow White look"- I do think this kit is effective at giving you glowing skin & dark lashes. It might be a great gift for the Snow White enthusiast in your life, or if you are looking for a potential answer for a large pore problem & want to dip your toe in the world of Benefit's cream/liquid cheek products. Something I've learned after reviewing lots of products is that something that works (or doesn't work) for me, may not behave the same way for you. I think at $40, this kit is a good value & I'd be curious to hear what the rest of you think about it! :)
Daily Nuggets (Confessions Edition!)
- I was inspired to do a confessions-themed Daily Nuggets thanks to one of my new favorite blogs- Confessions of a 20 Something!
- Confession- I found it as I was researching what makeup products Carrie Underwood uses. I'm just slightly obsessed with her beauty routine.
- I made (I use that term loosely) some Tollhouse slice & bake type chocolate chip cookies... and ate one of the sections before baking.
- I watched at least an hour of some sort of Saved by the Bell Hawaii edition movie today.
- I slid about 2 or 3 feet on the hard wood floor section of Buffalo Wild Wings last night & nearly wiped out. Excuse: my heels had little to no traction. Then did the classic- look all over to see if anyone saw me thing. Awkwardness. At least I wasn't carrying a drink!
- I bought yet another hair-curling device. You'll see when I do another "What's New at the Drugstore" video this week.
- I will watch episodes of Real Housewives (of anywhere) multiple times. I'm a sucker for marathons.
- I created a new cocktail this weekend that involves White Zinfandel wine and lemonade. Quite refreshing!