After posting my Mall of America Meet & Greet video and blog recap yesterday, I had some questions about the makeup, hair, and outfit. So I figured, why not answer those in a blog post! :) First off, (as if you didn't know) I love all-out glamour. The lashes, the curls, the dress... all things feminine were going in full force on this day. I unapologetically LOVE glam. Some days I go subtle, but this was not one of them.
Outfit: This dress was something mom and I ran across a few weeks ago while shopping at TJ Maxx. It was just $20! I actually had a different outfit in mind, but once I tried this on, we both knew that this was the dress. I love the bright coral color, the fabric had a comfortable amount of stretch in it, and it just worked with my short, curvy body. I actually found my shoes at TJ Maxx as well... you can barely see them in this picture but they're a black wedge from Aeorosoles. They felt SO comfortable! Key word: felt. The comfort didn't last much longer than an hour after standing at the event. I was content with just kicking them off and going barefoot (I did for awhile) but Simone from Sigma rounded up some flip flops! :) Also, wearing a color this bright, I did a couple rounds of self-tanning during the week leading up to the event using my trusty St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse and mitt. Oh yeah, I'm also wearing my Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs lotion in tan.
Hair: I knew I wanted to go with some sort of side-swept style for this event because I just feel like even if the curl doesn't hold in my fine hair, it'll look less stringy and blah if it's all off to one side. Kind of a preventative measure- LOL! I used my Vidal Sassoon velcro roller set- the kind that has the little clips attached to the rollers themselves so you don't have to worry about losing them. I always travel with this set! You can see the basic technique in my updated Velcro Roller video, but in a nutshell, I wrap a small section of hair around a small-ish curling iron and then wrap it around the roller. I use larger rollers around the top, and smaller rollers on the bottom (this works well with my layers). Unlike the video, I put in rollers all over my head for what I hoped would be the best chance for long-lasting curls.
I kept the rollers in for an hour or so while I did makeup (alongside Kristin Gehm!)... the longer you can leave them in, the better! Then I took them out, brushed out my hair, swept it to one side, and criss-crossed a couple of bobbi pins in the back to keep it there. I sprayed the whole look with Tresemme Tres Two (of course). Looking back, I wouldn't have bothered with the pins... when hugs were happening, they shifted around, hair came out of the pins, and I should've just pulled the hair to one side and let it be. Or done a ponytail. But from the front, everything looked fine and the curls actually lasted throughout the event! YAY for attached hotels and malls... eliminating that pesky outdoor humidity! hehe :) Earrings are just my big studs from Claire's.
Makeup: The goal was long-wearing, glam, and something that would be good in pictures! It's actually not vastly different from my "pageant glam" look that I posted about here. I was very pleased with the way this look came off. It was good coverage, but with a skin-like glow. It's important to note that I used 3 different face powders (one for undereye, one for t-zone, and one on the rest of the face)- but they were only used in those key areas for specific purposes and not overlapped, which I think kept cakey-ness at bay. I don't think I ever got super shiny, and the eyes and lips were a nice compliment to the dress. Here's what I used...
- MAC Pro Longwear Foundation NC35 (needed this shade which is a bit darker than my EL Double Wear since I'd been self-tanning).
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer in Warm Light Medium (for coverage)
- MAC Select Cover-Up NW20 (for under-eye brightness)
- Bare Minerals Well Rested (lightly- to set, mattify, and brighten under-eyes)
- Maybelline Shine Free Pressed Powder in Golden (for oil control on my T-Zone)
- L'oreal True Match Pressed Powder in W6 Sun Beige (to set makeup everywhere else)
- Mally Visible Skin Bronzer in Deeper (to contour cheekbones & forehead)
- Ioni Blush in Ecstasy
- Laura Geller Baked Highlighter in French Vanilla
- Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray
I'm a bit of a doofus and forgot to take a classic "looking down" eye makeup shot so you could get a clear look at the eyeshadow. So I went back to look at my vlog to see if there were any moments where you could see it. These screenshots aren't clear, but hopefully you can get a bit of an idea of what I did! Also, I cried several times (overwhelmed, happy tears) during the event, and this look didn't smudge.
- Milani Eyeshadow Primer (from lids to brows)
- Sigma Dare Eyeshadow Palette (specifics below)
- Milani Ultrafine Liquid Liner in Black Vinyl- upper lashline (truly waterproof- review here)
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Eye Pencil Duo (Black on waterline)
- Cover Girl Clump Crusher Water Resistant Mascara
- Red Cherry #43 False Lashes (applied with Revlon Precision Lash Glue)
- Estee Lauder Automatic Brow Pencil Duo in Dark Brown
I wasn't required to wear a Sigma product for this event, but I'm all about oranges lately, my dress was orange, and this Dare palette rocks. I've been using it a LOT lately. And FYI: there is a special 20% off discount code from Sigma, valid July 22-29 only. The code is- SBAP20.
I used the following shades swatched here: Chase, Grasp, Surrender, Catch, and Escape.
- After eyeshadow primer, I patted Chase (shimmery light peach) on the inner part of the lid & around the tear duct.
- I overlapped a bit of that with Grasp (shimmery coral), and covered the rest of the lid.
- I used Surrender (deep plum) in the outer corner, creating an outer V. I also smudged this shade under the eye.
- I blended Catch (matte orange) throughout the crease, sheering it out as I got closer to the brow.
- I used a bit of Escape (creamy shimmer) as a highlight under the brow.
- Jordana Lip Liner in Tawny (not as dark as it appears)
- Tarte LipSurgence in Elite
- MAC Lipglass in Pink Lemonade - love this gloss and it really lasted a long time without feeling annoying!
Thanks for checking out my "look of the day" post! It's been just over a week since the event, but I still remembered everything I used! It's kind of like when Tyler is able to recite every golf shot he hit on every hole of the course... some things you just remember! LOL! I suppose it helps that a decent amount of thought and planning when into this look. Thank you to everyone for your kind comments in response to my blog and video about the trip. Thanks for sharing in my happy time! :)
- A helicopter is flying overhead!
- Cupcake invaded Tyler's underwear drawer this morning. Full coverage of that, plus some cheesy puns on my Instagram.
- I wrote a blog today for the Ladies' Home Journal Gloss Daily site- it'll be live on Wednesday, I believe. A little something for the glasses-wearers out there! :)
- Over the weekend Tyler & I were at our favorite area pub when I was apparently gesturing a bit too enthusiastically & pretty much back-handed his glass and it broke! (it was empty, thank goodness). I was so embarrassed! Everyone who saw was really nice about it, and nobody let out a big "OOOHHHHHHHH!!!!" (pet peeve discussed recently on Beauty Broadcast Live- lol). The bartender said- "not the first time, and certainly won't be the last!" He got a great tip.