So... I was hungry when I was getting some pre-Thanksgiving groceries today. No, I didn't splurge on junk food-- but I was tempted by these junk-food flavored lip balms. They were just $1 apiece at WalMart in the stocking stuffer area, so I felt compelled to test them out and share my findings. There was a whole range of about a dozen different food flavors... things like pickle, ketchup, popcorn and bacon were among the other options. I decided to go with some of my favorite unhealthy foods... mac & cheese, pepperoni pizza, and french fries. A brand called Lotta Luv Beauty makes these. I also contemplated going through the self check-out to avoid judgement or questioning from the cashier about these odd purchases, but given my cart-load of other "normal" items, I decided to take my chances :)
With each lip balm I tried, the experience just got more and more strange. I started wondering... do I really WANT this stuff to smell/taste exactly like the food it's imitating? Would I want to go about my day with Pepperoni Pizza lips? I know these are a "just for fun" type of product- but you know me... I'll give them a serious review! ;)
- Mac & Cheese... Truly does smell like the cheese packet that comes in your box of Kraft macaroni & cheese. They seem to have nailed the fake cheese scent. Where a lot of lip balms have a slightly sweet taste... this tastes slightly salty. But compared to the others, this is the most mild flavor. The balm has a thick, slightly gritty consistency. Teeny tiny salt-flavored particles? Who knows!
- French Fries... This balm really does smell like potatoes! What?!? The feel on the lips is thicker & more gritty than the Mac & Cheese, and quite a bit more salty also. Almost like solidified mashed potatoes in a stick! It's as if I had some french fries, and just decided to mush one onto my lips. Ew!
- Pepperoni Pizza... This balm smells nothing like pizza. I can't figure out what I'm smelling... it's a little like the mac & cheese flavor, I think. Upon application, this flavor actually made my stomach turn! Same thick & gritty feel as french fries... but the flavor is both sweet and salty and just all around WEIRD! I'm all for a sweet & salty snack mix... but this is just so odd. I can't handle it!
The moral of the story is this: Salty lip balms are weird. If you love mac & cheese, french fries and pepperoni pizza... these lip balms will not satisfy your craving. The strange thought of having those food flavors (or attempts at food flavors) just sitting on your lips is actually rather unappetizing, and may eliminate your craving for said foods altogether. Maybe a new kind of appetite suppressant? Definitely a fun gag gift stocking-stuffer type of thing if you want to give the family some laughs. Just steer clear of Pepperoni Pizza... it's not worth it! LOL!
Here's my question-- what's the grossest food-flavored lip balm you can come up with?
- Got a crown at the dentist's office today (the next step in my root canal saga). Not the kind of crown a girl deserves, but a crown nonetheless.
- Cupcake has a lot of nicknames- her newest is doodle bug.
- I'm so excited for Thanksgiving!!
- My contributions for the meal will be my donut hole acorns and a Fireball whiskey/apple cider cocktail. Woop woop!