#ElectricChallenge Day 4: The Lighter Side
Hope you're having a good Thursday! We're now on Day 4 of the Electric Challenge... in case you're new to these posts, I'm trying to work in at least one shade of the Urban Decay Electric Palette everyday for 5 days... but by the end of the week I need to have used all of the colors! My pal Kristin is doing this as well, and I've also seen lots of people posting cool #ElectricChallenge looks on Instagram! As of today, I actually have used all of the colors. I'll still be doing a look tomorrow, of course, and I also plan to shoot a review video on this palette. As far as today's look, I knew I wanted to take a softer approach to this palette. I think it's important to show that you can still work in these colors without making them super "in your face" every time. With the addition of an outside shade (gold), I was able to achieve my goal, and showed myself just how versatile this palette can be! I also figured I'd choose today as my "lighter" day since I had to go to the dentist first thing in the morning :)
My "shades of the day" are Savage and Fringe.
Savage is a bright, matte pink (much brighter than I was expecting!) and Fringe is a metallic teal. As you can see from the swatches, both have the potential to be extremely intense! I found that the addition of a metallic neutral (gold) really lightened the whole look, and the overlapping that happened with Fringe brought out such a pretty greenish twist in the color. I love when eyeshadows seem to transform as you overlap them... I imagine artists get the same rush as they mix paints :)
(Click to enlarge)
- I first used an eyeshadow primer from lid to brow, and then I patted a gold eyeshadow around the inner corner and all over the lid (I'm experimenting with the new Bella Eyes line from Milani, and this shade is Bella Gold).
- If you look closely, you can see that I did the tape trick! I placed it right on the corner of my eye, pointing upward toward the outer end of my brow. This gives a great edge to Fringe. I overlapped some of the gold on the outer part of the lid, pulled it into the crease, and overlapped the taped portion to create the edge.
- With an angled liner brush, I took a bit of Fringe downward on the outer half of my lower lashline. I also used my wispy Sigma E36 brush to dust Savage just above my crease. This shade is not playing around!! It's bright, even with the lightest application. I also used a cream color as a highlight under the brow (Milani Bella Eyes in Bella Ivory).
- I lined my upper lashline with black liquid liner, creating a very subtle wing that follows the "track" of the eyeshadow. I also used a nude liner to brighten my lower waterline.
- I applied mascara to my upper and lower lashes.
- I used some false lashes to complete the look and further accentuate the shape of the eyeshadow. (These are the same lashes I used yesterday- Ardell #102 Demi).
I'm also wearing...
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Face & Body in Creamy Tan
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer in Warm Light Medium
- Wet n Wild Color Icon single shadow in Brulee (to set undereye concealer)
- Maybelline Dream Wonder Powder in Classic Ivory
- Milani Matte Baked Bronzer in 07 Sienna (for contouring)
- ELF Studio Blush in Pink Passion
- It Cosmetics Hello Light Illuminating Powder (highlight)
- Milani Eyeshadow Primer
- Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Gold (lid shade)
- Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Ivory (highlight)
- Urban Decay Electric Palette
- Jordana Color Envy Liquid Eyeliner in Black Envy (upper lashline)
- Milani Shadow Eyez Jumbo Pencil in Almond Cream (lower waterline)
- Rimmel ScandalEyes Rockin' Curves Mascara
- Too Faced Brow Envy Kit
- Ardell Glamour False Lashes #102 Demi
- Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Eastend Snob
- Tarte LipSurgence Lip Luster in Escape
I love how this look is softness with an edge. The colors are lighter and brighter than yesterday's look, but still quite colorful! And I think the "tape trick" on the outer corners gives the eyes a little something extra- compared to what I normally do. I just love that a palette you might glance at and think "NEON!!" can actually play nicely with other shadows and end up giving you a fun, almost pastel look.
- Sorry I had to miss Beauty Broadcast Live today! The dentist appointment was routine & went fine. I've said it before and I'll say it again... my hygienist is one of the most pleasant people on the planet. And she's a fast flosser :)
- New vlog & express video still to come this afternoon/evening!
- My eyes are tired.
- Has anyone tried the Makeup Genius app for iPad? I just got it but haven't tried it out yet.
- Doing some grilling tonight- which will include grilled corn on the cob! Love it!!