You might remember about a month ago I did a video about drugstore lip products worth trying. In it, I raved about these NYX Slide On lip pencils. (The full name is technically "Slide On, Glide On, Stay On & Definitely a Turn On Waterproof, Extreme Color Lip Liner... LOL.) The NYX Slide On Eyeliners have been around for quite some time, and I absolutely love them and have often compared them to the Urban Decay 24/7 liners in terms of color selection and staying power. So when NYX recently sent me the full line of Slide On LIP Liners... I was SO EXCITED. They sell for $7.99 each at Ulta, and in my opinion, they're the best lip pencils NYX has ever released (and many of their older ones are pretty darn good!) They go on super creamy, they are incredibly long-wearing, don't drift outside the lips into fine lines, and I'm really pleased with the shade selection! So I wanted to show you some swatches in this post, as well as my personal favorites! (Feel free to enlarge any photos for a closer look.)
Left to right: Nude Suede Shoes, Sugar Glass, Bedrose, Sweet Pink, Fluorescent, Disco Pink, Pink Cantaloupe, Rosey Sunset, Summer Tease, Red Tape, Brick House, Dark Soul, Nebula
FYI: All of these shades are matte with one exception- the bright pink called Fluorescent, which has a bit of a pearly sheen. While these can make great liners in the traditional sense of outlining your lips and filling them in with a coordinating lipstick, I really think they're awesome for filling in the entire lip area as well. They apply so smoothly, and then they definitely set for long-wear. You're really going to have to try hard to smudge them! But something else to be aware of, and I've said this in regards to most of the long-wearing liquid lipsticks hitting the market... when you add moisture, you re-liquify the product somewhat, which can cause some transfer. So if you intend to top these with a gloss, or if you immediately apply them over a lip balm, you will notice that they can transfer off a bit more easily. Still a long-wearing product and can enhance the wear of various glosses and lipsticks... but just not as 100% set as they would be when worn alone.
My preferred application would involve exfoliating and moisturizing my lips when I first start applying my makeup- and then apply my lip liner at the end when my lips have had a chance to really "soak up" that moisture. Another option would be to simply blot the balm off to eliminate excess moisture before applying the liner (if you want the most long-wearing effect).
The Neutrals: Nude Suede Shoes, Sugar Glass, Urban Cafe
The Pinks: Bedrose, Sweet Pink, Fluorescent, Disco Pink
The Corals/Reds: Pink Cantaloupe, Rosey Sunset, Summer Tease, Red Tape
The Darks: Brick House, Dark Soul, Nebula
- Nude Suede Shoes (top left): An awesome cool, slightly pinky nude. Looks gorgeous alone but can boost the staying power of so many nude lipsticks and glosses.
- Sugar Glass (top center): Close to Nude Suede Shoes, but as you can see even more clearly in the swatch pictures, this color has more warmth.
- Urban Cafe (top right): I'll admit I've never worn this one alone all over my lips like I did for this picture, but I recently realized that I LOVE how it looks over a red to create a pretty ombre effect! I'm wearing it that way in this video.
- Rosey Sunset (bottom left): I love this bright, pinky red... I'm pretty sure I don't have any other liners in this shade.
- Brick House (bottom center): Gorgeous alone, but also a nice way to deepen up any red lipsticks that are too bright. I love a good matte red that won't budge!
- Dark Soul (bottom right): A deep berry red that looks so vampy on its own, but also makes a nice companion for other berry-toned lipsticks.
I would've enjoyed swatches ALL 14 liners for you, but honestly, as I took each one off (with Bioderma), my lip line became more and more sloppy and it's just really tough with these long wearing products! But my bottom line... you can't miss with this liner formula. If you're looking for a new lip liner, I would totally recommend this range. And even though they are traditional pencils that DO require sharpening... I really don't mind! That's saying a lot, coming from this retractable pencil lover!
- The new season of The Bachelor started last night... while I thought most of the introductions were pretty ridiculous, I can't hate on the miniature horse!!
- Confession... I still need to unpack a few things from my Christmas travels.
- We are going to take Belle to see the HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS tomorrow!!!
- Peppermint Bark coffee actually doesn't taste that bad when it gets cold! (hard to down a full cup of hot coffee around here)